About The University
Licensed by the Federal Government under the close supervision of the National Universities Commission (NUC) on May 17th, 2007, Tansian University is determined to actualize its vision of being a dynamic institution with the noble philosophy of inculcating sound, high quality education, without compromising any moral issue. And since inception, the University has continued to offer relevant academic programmes designed to produce highly qualified graduates that will be acceptable locally and globally and young men and women imbued with love of universal truth for the benefit of mankind. So far, we are consistently pursuing excellence and effectiveness in teaching with a view to producing knowledgeable and skilled graduates equipped to make positive contributions towards the resolution of societal ills.
Tansian University products are, therefore being equipped with the ability for critical and local analysis, effective language communication, numeric and information communication technology (ICT) skills. At the end of their studies, graduates of Tansian University are capable of exhibiting sound moral judgment befitting African culture and aesthetic values.
Quite unlike most tertiary institutions, Tansian University was not born out of a desire to make name and acquire material wealth, but to fulfill an innate desire to develop youths and empower them for the challenges of a changing world. To achieve this, the Father-Founder Very Rev. Msgr Prof. John Bosco Akam started the development process from kindergarten, primary to secondary schools education as well as the destitute and physically challenged institutions which explain why he is popularly known as Father of Enlighten and Legend of Education. To extend the scope of youths, Prof Akam founded Tansian University, named after a rare African First Nigeria to be beatified – Blessed Cyprain Michael Iwene Tansi.
In Tansian University, you will not only receive a blueprint for saving the world, your world and our country, Nigeria, but you will be given some fundamental principles, which if followed with confidence, will help you be a ‘success story’ to your generation.
Making a difference is the major thrust of the philosophy of Tansian University. That is the dream of the Father Founder and Chancellor of the University – to breed new ideas, fresh solutions and new perspectives.
The motto of Tansian University is “Scientia Potestas et Virtus” (Knowledge is power and virtue). Students of the University are flourished with all essential requisites for the pursuit of academic excellence and moral values which during and after their period of studies metamorphose into humble, honest and successful life.
The vision of Tansian University is to be a dynamic academic institution which epitomizes the noble institution of sound, high quality education properly blended with moral rectitude that offers relevant academic programmes for the production of globally competitive graduates imbued with the love of universal truth for benefit of the society.
In line with the vision of the University, the mission is to continually pursue excellence, efficiency and effectiveness in teaching, learning and research towards the production of high quality, knowledgeable and skilful graduates that would be relevant in the work place as well resolve societal problems thereby impacting on national development.
OBJECTIVES OF THE UNIVERSITY
- To complement Government efforts by providing facilities for learning and to give holistic instruction and training in such branches of knowledge as the University may desire to foster, and in doing so, to enable the students obtain the advantages of a morally based liberal education, open to all, irrespective of nationality, ethnic derivation, social status, gender, religious or political persuasion;
- To promote, through research and other morally acceptable means, the advancement of knowledge and its functional application to social, cultural, economic, scientific and technological problems oriented towards development, peace and human progress;
- To create employment opportunity in Nigeria through attraction, retention and development of top quality core faculty (academic staff) that is committed to true scholarship as well as competent and skillful non-teaching staff.
OUR UNIQUE SELLING PROPOSITION (USP)
What stands as the USP of Tansian University derives from the paragon socio-spiritual virtues of Blessed Iwene Tansi in whose name and memory the University is dedicated. Some of the virtues are;
1. Discipline – both theoretical and practical
2. Courage/boldness –unafraid of the unknown
3. Faith in God and in self
4. Special interest/commitment to the education and development of young people
The foregoing virtues are being inculcated in every Tansian University student.